DISCUSSION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Rolling

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prefer Rolling or Not?

Character Rolling I_vote_lcap75%Character Rolling I_vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]
Character Rolling I_vote_lcap25%Character Rolling I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

Character Rolling Empty Character Rolling

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:25 am

Just a thought.
Why does it seem when I hear about a persons roll (for stats) it always seems that they have rolled extraordinary well and NEVER do I hear of people rolling extraordinary badly. I'd like a game where there are base stats or something along those lines so it matters how you use your character not just that they are far too overpowered. Another thing in this subject is that when one or several characters are overpowered some of the lesser characters (Who rolled far worse) feel as if their character lacks ability. This does not stick to the same abilities but spans across the entire ability area (E.g. Bard with extraordinary good stats can make the King himself fall to sleep. The Fighter thinking that he should be able to do a similar roll only using his Forte of Strength tried to smash open a Treasure Chest only to fail wildly and look like the Bard's fool in the process.) I would just like it to be more fair and that was my main reasoning behind using 4.0's Ability Score Chart.

One Ounce

Back to top Go down

Character Rolling Empty Re: Character Rolling

Post  I quit Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:30 am

The point system is retarded in this system. Your highest stat would be at such a great price it isn't even worth it.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:58 am

I like the rolling stats better. Gabe explained it to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm

although this dice pool way of rolling IS interesting. It gives you a chance to put more emphasis into different scores, since you have 24d6 to divide among the 6 stats, so instead of just rolling 4d6 all around, you could put 5 or 6 into one stat.

(although I do like keeping the rolled stat bonus total into a good average zone, in case of major suckage. the minimum mod bonus for this 24d6 dice pool is 16, with max above being around 22)
Jason
Jason
Admin

http://fridays.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Jason wrote:although this dice pool way of rolling IS interesting. It gives you a chance to put more emphasis into different scores, since you have 24d6 to divide among the 6 stats, so instead of just rolling 4d6 all around, you could put 5 or 6 into one stat.

(although I do like keeping the rolled stat bonus total into a good average zone, in case of major suckage. the minimum mod bonus for this 24d6 dice pool is 16, with max above being around 22)

Thats not a bad range to go by.

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

That is actually crazy good if you look ad the other D&D games we have played. +16 mod was awesome and +9 was good. To give an idea of the Stats of a +16; 14 14 14 14 16 16. But that is if everything is average, if there was a specialization in three stats, 10 10 12 20 20 20. Maybe we should develop a "Stat" build point system that will give a rough character build with a much smaller dice pool to accent it. For example(This is mostly for Jason) We take the point system from the book, and give them the full 15 points. Then we give them (4 to 8)d6 to add to those stats. So with the point build I could make a 10 10 10 14 14 14 or a 8 10 10 12 14 16. Then I add my d6s to the stats I would like to bolster. Though I would suggest a limit to the number of dice that could be sank into one stat. I would also suggest that a character should also have a stat at 8(-1) so it will give the character with low cha to be bailed out by the cha master, or the weaking wiz or Sorc require Jonny McFighter to bust down doors(when appropriate to the story or situation.)

Summary:
- We needs a stat system that combines points and dice to average out the mods better.
- This would put less emphasis on random chance, but still makes the stats different.
- Characters should be required to be not as good in one stat.
- This should cause variety and further cooperation between players.

Last edited by Mad As A Hatter on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a point)
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:47 pm

that's not a bad idea, it's like rolling some to show what you were born with (chance, not much control) and then some points to show what you trained to become.

ex: You designate a die to be STR, but roll not-so-good. You plan on becoming a fighter, so it just means that your character had to work harder to aspire to his goals (more points in, meaning he trained his muscles more)

you could also make a high roll part of your character "he was born strong, and takes it for granted"
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Jason wrote:that's not a bad idea, it's like rolling some to show what you were born with (chance, not much control) and then some points to show what you trained to become.

ex: You designate a die to be STR, but roll not-so-good. You plan on becoming a fighter, so it just means that your character had to work harder to aspire to his goals (more points in, meaning he trained his muscles more)

you could also make a high roll part of your character "he was born strong, and takes it for granted"

So are you saying my other ideas are bad? lol jk. Bingo, though I wish we could simplify the point system some what. Maybe we could roll a d6 per stat and then we can give a "modifier pool" where you get X modifier points, each point gives you 2 stat points. So if we remember we start at zero what would make an average adventurer? 12 across the board? so that would be 6 points per stat. However, lets lower it to 4 or 5 per stat to account for the rolls. Next we advise 6+1d6 is the lowest a stat can go and take those points from the pool. So the would leave us with 6-12 mod points. So the end math would look like this:
If I rolled 1 1 3 6 4 2 and 6-12 mod points Less say 10 for example sake and we put stat max at 20.

Str = 6 +1d6 = 7 + 0 = 7
Con =6 +1d6 = 7 + 4 = 11 (2 mod pts)
Dex =6 +1d6 = 9 + 6 = 15 (3 mod pts)
Int =6 +1d6 = 12 + 8 = 20 (4 mod pts)
Wis =6 +1d6 = 10 + 0 = 10
Cha =6 +1d6 = 8 + 2 = 10 (1 mod pt)

The end stats are reasonable if not a little low, but I'm a specialized wizard by the looks of it, or a sub par rouge. Maybe increase the mod points to 12 and if you want something more epic we can increase the mod pool.
Also I think a starting stat cap is important, though maybe it could be raised under special circumstance. Like Grug, tried really really hard to be even stronger then his father so he could kill him and take over the Bloodfist Tribe. So he skipped skool and fought bears instead. Thus the DM allows Grug to put two mod points to hop the one mod level up to 22 str and with his racial boost it became 24. So Grug killed his father and mother and is the firth Half-Orc to rule the bloodyfists.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 pm

something like that yes, what are other opinions (although recently opinions are pretty much kristin and maybe garratt)
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:29 pm

I sent a text to Andrew, Jenn, and Kristin to come give their opinion.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Jason wrote:something like that yes, what are other opinions (although recently opinions are pretty much kristin and maybe garratt)

Sorry if it seems I am giving my opinion all the time. I like the idea of rolling cause like what I was telling Gabe we should all very, like we do in life because everyone is different.

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 pm

i love your opinions love, in fact we would like your opinion on the above system for stats.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Lady Sheeva wrote:
Jason wrote:something like that yes, what are other opinions (although recently opinions are pretty much kristin and maybe garratt)

Sorry if it seems I am giving my opinion all the time. I like the idea of rolling cause like what I was telling Gabe we should all very, like we do in life because everyone is different.

No, it's not a bad thing at all, I like activity on the forum here
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Mad As A Hatter wrote:That is actually crazy good if you look ad the other D&D games we have played. +16 mod was awesome and +9 was good. To give an idea of the Stats of a +16; 14 14 14 14 16 16. But that is if everything is average, if there was a specialization in three stats, 10 10 12 20 20 20. Maybe we should develop a "Stat" build point system that will give a rough character build with a much smaller dice pool to accent it. For example(This is mostly for Jason) We take the point system from the book, and give them the full 15 points. Then we give them (4 to 8)d6 to add to those stats. So with the point build I could make a 10 10 10 14 14 14 or a 8 10 10 12 14 16. Then I add my d6s to the stats I would like to bolster. Though I would suggest a limit to the number of dice that could be sank into one stat. I would also suggest that a character should also have a stat at 8(-1) so it will give the character with low cha to be bailed out by the cha master, or the weaking wiz or Sorc require Jonny McFighter to bust down doors(when appropriate to the story or situation.)

Summary:
- We needs a stat system that combines points and dice to average out the mods better.
- This would put less emphasis on random chance, but still makes the stats different.
- Characters should be required to be not as good in one stat.
- This should cause variety and further cooperation between players.

I think just rolling would be best for the reason I have already stated.

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:04 am

Well I guess we dice pool then? What do you think Jason?
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:46 am

How about this:

You start with 10s, the example is the fighter Rorek.

STR 10 +2 = 12(+1) I roll a 2, 1 ,4, 6, 2 and 4 respectively, although my character plans on
CON 10 +1 = 11(+0) being a fighter, he is naturally intelligent, and somewhat quick with his
DEX 10 +4 = 14(+2) hands and tongue.
INT 10 +6 = 16(+3) He decides this is no good, a fighter must be strong and have a good
WIS 10 +2 = 12(+1) constitution. You have 15 points to train your body and mind with. They
CHA 10 +4 = 14(+2) each equal +1 to a stat, until reaching 5 (even training has limits) where
------------------- each point is essentially 1/2 a stat. This makes the possible maximum 21.

Rorek trains his strength with 7 points, his constitution with 5 points, and uses the last 2 on dex.

STR 12 +6 = 18(+4) In the end he somewhat equalized himself, but if he was lucky enough
CON 11 +5 = 16(+3) to be born strong, he might have capitalized on it.
DEX 14 +2 = 16(+3)
INT 16 0 = 16(+3) get what I'm saying?
WIS 12 0 = 12(+1)
CHA 14 0 = 14(+2) (the text kind of get mashed up in the way it formats)

you could also have the option of a balancing (one time switching 2 points between 2 scores)
ex: Rorek could have focused too hard on becoming strong, -2 INT, +2 to STR
a small effort to balance a seemingly "useless" stat, with a more important one.
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 pm

just looking at those end stats. they are far to ridiculous. What is he bad at? I don't know...
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Mad As A Hatter wrote:just looking at those end stats. they are far to ridiculous. What is he bad at? I don't know...

that's because I was going for equalization, try it a few times yourself and see what combos ensue
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Character Rolling Empty stats

Post  JadziaDaxx Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:26 am

I like gabe idea of having a base and then rolling one dice for each and then customizing the rest with the points.
JadziaDaxx
JadziaDaxx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:19 pm

I still dont agree with you guys. No ones stats should be equal because we all should not be good in everything. Again I say rolling only.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm

well, with the way mine or gabe's would work, is that you don't have to equalize, you can focus on one stat if you felt like it
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:57 am

I guess I am someone who prefers to just roll and add nothing else.

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 am

So for this game it looks like the stats will be rolled. Here is how it works...

You get a "dice pool" of 24d6 to roll 6 stats. You can divide them up how ever you want among those stats rolling no fewer then 3d6 per stat. When you roll you will take the top three dice rolled and add them together getting you stat... for example:
3d6 roll 4,2, and 5 = 11
7d6 roll 4,4,2,6,1,2, and 3 = 14 (the highest being 4,4 and 6)

So if you used 3d6 on one stat, and 7d6 on another you would have 14d6 left to use on the remaining 4 stats. (eg: 3d6, 3d6, 4d6, 4d6)

This is the planned system, however I think we should ave a side option of standard stat someone can choose insted of rolling. like a standard set like 16,15,13,12,10, 8 - Thats a +6 mod and is pretty fair. But I'll ask that everyone either post, or let me know in person. Thank you.

I rolled as follows:
Str - 8
Con - 10
Dex - 16
Int - 17
Wis - 15
Cha - 13
total mod of +8 so +6 is not bad.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I am fine with either randomized stats, or the random+points
Jason
Jason
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  I quit Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm

What I figure is the standard or points set should only be able to get so high. Not anything to low, but not as high as someone who takes the risk of the rolls. So it is safe, but less "profitable" like a stock portfolio.
I quit
I quit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next